[SATLUG] Ubuntu AD Users

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:18:54 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:10 AM, ed<horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My first question:  Is there any way in all of this, on the machine
> itself, that I can setup a common applications folder, a'la
> Windows/Documents and Settings/Default User, wherein any user logging in
> on the Ubuntu machine will get a common desktop and set of applications
> -- without having to re-install them for each individual account on the
> machine?  Can this be done on the machine, or need it be done on the
> server for a specific sub-domain?

Ed, you can put files and directories in the /etc/skel directory. When
a new user is added, the contents of /etc/skel is added to the
/home/<user> directory. I usually put a common .bashrc file and
public_html directory (for web access)

> My second question:  What's a good imaging tool (a'la: Ghost), which
> won't corrupt Grub, that I can use to make image copies of the primary
> load, and then later use to push that load to several machines at once?

I use Partimage to make and push a common image to our departmental
laptops. Its a server/client model.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu