[SATLUG] Routers

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:14:47 CDT 2009

My .02c:

I have a Linksys v2 WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT and it has worked for
me with no issues whatsoever that weren't attributed to user error (I
forgot the admin password. :P )

It's great, I can SSH to it just like any other linux box on the
network, and it supports WPA encryption and a host of other things
that I may delve into at some point.  I have another Linksys V2 that
has the SD card hack that I have used for a roaming AP for various
things like VoIP testing with a trixbox VM, etc.

The Linksys boxes themselves are sturdy but I would recommend if you
can find the Linksys branded 7Dbi gain antennas, that you do so.  I
scored a pair in San Antonio's Goodwill at 45/DeZavala a couple of
years ago and my entire 2 bedroom apartment has excellent WiFi
coverage.  I haven't found the need to tweak the TxPower and I doubt
that I will need to.

I used Linksys a long time ago with some custom antennas to bridge a
1/4 mile gap using directional antennas and a pair of high gain omni
antennas thanks to www.fab-corp.com and while the project was ongoing,
the wireless link worked exceptionally well.  The hardware lasted
longer than the project and I'm sure that whoever has them is putting
them to good use.

FIRESTORM_v1