[SATLUG] Ubuntu AD Users

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:20:01 CDT 2009

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:10 AM, ed<horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My first question:  Is there any way in all of this, on the machine
>> itself, that I can setup a common applications folder, a'la
>> Windows/Documents and Settings/Default User, wherein any user logging in
>> on the Ubuntu machine will get a common desktop and set of applications
>> -- without having to re-install them for each individual account on the
>> machine?  Can this be done on the machine, or need it be done on the
>> server for a specific sub-domain?

Hm.  Ok...  If I log into the local machine, and put sym-links to apps
in the /etc/skel folder, will those show up, either in a menu or on the
desktop, and allow a user full access to the app?  If so, great.  If
not, what would I need to do?  Same for forcing a common desktop
wallpaper image?

>> My second question:  What's a good imaging tool (a'la: Ghost), which
>> won't corrupt Grub, that I can use to make image copies of the primary
>> load, and then later use to push that load to several machines at once?
>>

> I use Partimage to make and push a common image to our departmental
> laptops. Its a server/client model.

Is this a Linux based app?  I tried ZenWorks, and it totally screwed-up
the Grub boot-loader in the server Ubuntu box...  (I'll Google it
anyway, thanks!)

Cheers;
Ed