[SATLUG] Update on Cheryl Upgrade

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Jun 17 15:49:57 CDT 2009

Samuel Leon wrote:
> Herb Cee wrote:
>> Hi gang, Cheryl got the new mobo and HD I sent her and she was
>> determined to install it herself. It is a ECS PT890T
>>
>> It took Cheryl 14hrs to finally get the old out and the new in and
>> unfortunately the Video card fried for the 2nd time so I want to send
>> her a replacement card I can get a good price ($24)on a new
>>

>>  NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Video Card 256MB DVI PCI Express
>>
>> Anyone have any issues with this choice. Her distro is Ubuntu 8.04.
>> She is offline until this problem is fixed.
>> Thanks
>> herb
>>

> I know ati has open sourced their drivers so some cards have full 3d
> acceleration available in X without special drivers.  Might be
> something to look into.
>
> Sam
Yeah, but what I want to know is will this NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Video
Card 256MB DVI PCI Express card work out of the box for Cheryl. She is
not a tech, she is not a programmer but she can install the card into
the PCI-x slot and plug it in. Does anyone run this card? Will she have
to do anything other than boot it up?
herb