[SATLUG] HVR-1600 and MythTV

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Jun 17 17:45:38 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 14:12, Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Team,
> Sent an email a few days ago and didn't get a bite back so I'm resending
> and
> hopefully will be more clear.
>
> I have a HVR-1600 dual NTSC and ATSC tuner card model Hauppauge model 74551
> LF rev C1A3 on Fedora 9.
>
> LSPCI | grep cx18 returns the following:
>
> 02:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23418
> Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio
> Decoder
>
> Under setup in MythTV the card does not show. I have following the
> instructions from Dale Pontius via the following link:
>
> Install *HVR-1600* drivers
> # yum -y install ivtv-firmware
> # yum -y install ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
> # yum install mercurial
> # cd /usr/local/src
> # hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> # cd v4l-dvb
> # make && make install
> # wget http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/cx18-firmware.tar.gz and
> copy
> to /lib/firmware
> Reference: http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18
> Reference: http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/V4l2-ctl_(Examples)<http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/V4l2-ctl_%28Examples%29>
>
> However the card still will not show. Am I missing one the steps? I did
> have
> problems with the second step not working (even when I put in the actual
> kernal reference and remove the "uname -r"

I don't personally use either, but the SageTV forums (go to the Linux OEM
thread and search for posts by bcjenkins.  I know he runs several of them.
I run the PVR-500, and the steps are similar.

It is important to be a little more agressive with the removal of the old
drivers (IVTV, v4l_*, *compat*) etc.  Especially if you are running 64-bit.
add the following: `rm -Rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/`
Run that before you do the `make install`

IIRC there are some issues with the analog port of the 1600, but the digital
side works well.

> somebody please throw me a bone here what am I missing? Any  help is always
> appreciated!

Sorry that I cannot be more help, but I have not played with the 1600 enough
(and I will probably go with an HDHomeRun over a PCI formfactor in the near
future.

If I bump into more info, I will pass it along...

jp