[SATLUG] Routers

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 19:42:40 CDT 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I am interested in experiences that SATLuggers have had with home
> routers.  What I have been using is an old PC with two Ethernet cards
> running iptables.  This functions fine but is a bit noisy and uses too
> much space.
>
> I've been looking on line and the most frequently mentioned seem to be
> Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link.  The size and price seem to be
> reasonably competitive. What I am interested in is reliability and
> ability to tweak the firewall settings.
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.
>
>   -- Bruce
I'm using a Netgear 318FVS, and it has worked flawlessly for me since I
got it.  I had no need for wireless connections, but I did need
something that would handle PPPOE (so I could VPN into my employer's
company network) and would have enough ports to handle all of the CAT5
connections I have (or will) put in inside my house.  As far as tweaking
settings is concerned, I did only the most basic things (passwords,
setting valid IP ranges, etc.) so far.

I would still recommend it, though.

Al Lesmerises