[SATLUG] Ubuntu AD Users

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Jun 17 23:27:01 CDT 2009

ed wrote:

> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:10 AM, ed<horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My first question:  Is there any way in all of this, on the machine
>>> itself, that I can setup a common applications folder, a'la
>>> Windows/Documents and Settings/Default User, wherein any user
>>> logging in
>>> on the Ubuntu machine will get a common desktop and set of applications
>>> -- without having to re-install them for each individual account on the
>>> machine?  Can this be done on the machine, or need it be done on the
>>> server for a specific sub-domain?
>>>
> Hm.  Ok...  If I log into the local machine, and put sym-links to apps
> in the /etc/skel folder, will those show up, either in a menu or on
> the desktop, and allow a user full access to the app?  If so, great.
> If not, what would I need to do?  Same for forcing a common desktop
> wallpaper image?

Not exactly, Ed.  What /etc/skel contains are the files that you want
each user to have, when a new user account is created with
useradd -m {username}

Also, at least it's been my experience, that when you add a user, you
don't automatically add them to the mail system.

Which means, if you're using a mail server on that same box, you'll have
to go into /etc/mail/access (I think - maybe mailertable - can't quite
get to it from here) and edit it to add the new username, then run
'make' in the dir to reconfigure the mail files, then stop and restart
your mail program.

That's how it works for me using sendmail and postfix.

Someone feel free to update us on the 'proper' way of doing things.

-Geoff