[SATLUG] QoS in Fedora 9

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Jun 18 16:25:21 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 14:29, Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried that and for some reason the VOIP router will not work behind my
> router (I don't get why it doesn't I've opened all appropriate ports and
> enabled QoS in the router).

I connt form a complete picture of the setup, but is the "Voip router" an
actual router with phone jacks, or is it an ATA (analog telephone adapter)
that has a LAN interface and a Phone jack or two?

I use a M0n0wall firewall with traffic shaping (voip has a priority queue,
while BitTorrent has the lowest).  There are some routers that have a QoS
capability that may work.  You could also get a newer router to allow the
QoS.

> The router is a DI-524 A2 Old but still works
> well. There hasn't been a firmware upgrade in 4 years. That may be the
> problem but I also haven't found a 3rd party router firmware that works
> with
> that old of DLink routers.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you are going to throw your server into the data path as a (essentially)
firewall, then you can use TrafficShaper (or mastershaper for a WebGUI) to
allow for a network queueing system that will pass Voip before other
traffic.