[SATLUG] OT: Coraid Storage and Other Options

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:40:19 CDT 2009

On 6/19/09, Channing.ML at channingc.com <Channing.ML at channingc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  Ok - Ok - Warning to all those who don't like off-topic posts, step away
> from this thread --- it's toxic ;)
>
>  I need to replace a SAN and I don't want to pay for an EMC, or the like.  I
> looked at EquilLogic, but the price point was still a bit on the steep side.
>  The goal is to replace 54T of storage with a solution that can handle a
> 40/60 write/read profile..  The connections would be to a pair of Sun
> v1280's running 9 with Oracle on the SAN.
>  Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about EquilLogic, or Coraid as
> a SAN for a pair of Suns running 9?  Are there other options out there I
> should look at?
>
>  Thank you to those who take the time.
>
>  Channing

The "solution" Strategy is to get a quote for a "real" solution from a
competitive vendor and use that to beat down the price point of other
vendors. The "name" vendors see your need as a "one off" sale and
don't see any follow-on support money, which is where they make the
big bucks. At one time HP was giving Storage away to sell Services.
EMC has been known to offer discounts of 60% in competitive
situations. Just depends on how their sales are doing.

A typical scenario is this. In the "Best of All Possible Worlds" you
would like to have the "name vendor X" solution for a number of
technical reasons. The quoted price is not within your budget. Find
out who the "name vendor X" competitors are, preferably the most
competitive. Get a hard quote from them. Then using that quote get a
quote from another "name vendor". Then have a session with your
preferred "name vendor X".

This really doesn't take very much time. It takes 10x longer to figure
out your "number of technical reasons".

Have you talked to anyone at Rackspace about what they use? About out-Storing?
They are local and have some really sharp people. The Rackspace
solutions do not fit everyone's needs. Caveat Emptor.