[SATLUG] OT: Coraid Storage and Other Options

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jun 20 21:51:05 CDT 2009

on 6/19/09 8:17 PM, pjcrux at gmail.com said:

> Have you looked at an IBM XIV solution? Cost is extremely competitive
> against the evil machine corporation. Contact off list and I can
> provide more information.

We took a look at those.  For UT Austin, they lose in comparison to
NetApp, Sun USS, and even EquilLogic and EMC-via-Dell.  I believe that
this would hold true for most other sites as well.

They don't have much memory per node, they don't have much I/O bandwidth
per node, and they are sold by the rackfull.  If you don't want to buy a
whole rack or a half-rack of their stuff, then you're out of luck.

If I were going to go with higher-end stuff, I would look at solutions
from Hitachi Data Systems (see
<http://www.hds.com/products/storage-systems/>) and DirectDataNetworks
(see <http://www.ddn.com/s2a>).