[SATLUG] OT: Coraid Storage and Other Options

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jun 20 21:58:09 CDT 2009

on 6/20/09 4:40 AM, Robert Pearson said:

> The "solution" Strategy is to get a quote for a "real" solution from a
> competitive vendor and use that to beat down the price point of other
> vendors. The "name" vendors see your need as a "one off" sale and
> don't see any follow-on support money, which is where they make the
> big bucks. At one time HP was giving Storage away to sell Services.
> EMC has been known to offer discounts of 60% in competitive
> situations. Just depends on how their sales are doing.

The sales strategies I've seen from EMC directly have included:

	We'll give you the whole thing for free, fully populated
	with disks.  You only pay for the storage you use.  Oh,
	by the way, we're not going to tell you how much it costs
	to pay for what you use, and you have to guarantee us
	that you'll use the whole thing by the end of the year.
	Sign here on this line of this blank check.

In addition to doing things like taking your upper management to a
stripper bar or a collection of prostitutes, and then throwing an
all-expenses paid party.

That's why I'm glad we never have to deal with the EMC sales
sleazeballs.  We deal with Dell, and our relationship with them amounts to:

	We have looked at all your products on your custom
	intranet website you built for us to tell us what our
	normal discount is, we know what we want, and we know
	what it is supposed to cost us.  Please give us an
	official quote, and deliver by date XYZ.