[SATLUG] OT: Coraid Storage and Other Options

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jun 20 22:02:16 CDT 2009

on 6/20/09 8:41 AM, Channing said:

> We beat the tar out of this, so it needs to be local.  The last time
> someone saw our i/o, they were a bit surprised by the usage - it's not
> typical.

In that case, vendors pitching more modern solutions like Hitachi Data
Systems with their "TagmaStore" USP platform, Sun with their "Amber
Road" Unified Storage System, and maybe EquilLogic will be more
interesting choices for you.  They all sell solutions which natively
integrate solid-state disk into an additional tier of caching storage
between the RAM on their controller and the hard drives, which helps
them get amazingly high I/O rates.

> Anyone know if AoE is "there" yet?  Given that this is a billing system
> with high I/O and demand, I'm being cautious on the leading/bleeding
> edge option, but there is a push for the savings against the more
> traditional and higher priced solutions of FC and iSCSI.

 From what I've heard, AoE is basically dead.  And iSCSI isn't far
behind it.  Everyone is moving towards FCOE, or what Cisco calls "Data
Center Ethernet".