[SATLUG] Motherboard Issues with Fedora 9 and 10

Crandall, Sean scrandall at jw.com
Mon Jun 22 17:55:11 CDT 2009

This has happened to me many times, and you're right, it's always been a
video driver issue.  I used to run Gentoo on a Dell Latitude, and I
would run binary video drivers so I could get hardware acceleration.
Every time the kernel updated, the video driver broke because it was
compiled for kernel-2.6.xyzlongstringA, so it wouldn't load for
kernel-2.6.xyzlongstringB.  (Incidentally, this kind of subtle
incompatibility that would completely break things and sometimes end up
with circular dependencies that couldn't be resolved drove me to finally
abandon Gentoo.  The worst was when it would break gcc, so you couldn't
go anywhere from there.  If somebody ever made a binary Gentoo distro,
I'd probably go back, because I really liked portage).

Sean C. Crandall
Registered Patent Attorney
Jackson Walker L.L.P.
112 E. Pecan Suite 2400