[SATLUG] a more viable alternative to Opera Unite

redpill-master toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Jun 23 14:27:01 CDT 2009

I am sure that most of this is not new to many of you but maybe some of
our less experienced members might find the following useful.

my recent foray into Opera Unite got me to thinking, what would it take
to bring these services to my own personal webpage with currently
available F/OSS.

sure I can ssh into my system bring up amarok with this little handy
command $ ssh -C -X username at youripaddress amarok but where is the fun
in that?  I want to make it available on my website just like I can with
opera unite.

So how to fix this...step one set up apache and copy my homepage over
from the opera directory and into /var/www/...set 2 setup and install
mediatomb...setup three open up the mediatomb port in my firewall...step
four modify my home page to include the following link
http://r3d91ll.homelinux.net:49153 and viola not only do I have a way to
get my music up and on the web but I also can get my pictures and video
up and all in 4 easy steps.

the above assumes that you either have a static ip address or an account
with dyndns.com or some other similar service.

now for a question...what sort of security issues do I now need to worry
about by having this port open?  Anyone know of any exploits which could
be dangerous or otherwise harmful?

Todd