[SATLUG] Off Topic for this list but... Power Supply brands

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jun 23 19:00:05 CDT 2009

redpill-master wrote:
> I alway liked ultra myself.  they were the first after all with the
> modular power supply.  buy the way I would spend the extra $10-$15 for a
> modular ps no matter what the brand.
>
> Todd
>
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 17:13 -0500, Peter Cross wrote:
>
>> Yeah i guess it would help if I was specific as to what I need...
>>
>> ATX case for a personal PC, case is an APEX PC-139
>>
>> Thanks Herb I'll add it to the list

>>> Peter is this to mount in a standard type case? I use the ATX mini-tower
>>> and recently upgraded both my P/S to OKIA Mod LC8460BTX Switching power
>>> supplys. They both run cool and silent and have had no problems and they
>>> were about $20ea from a seller on Ebay
>>> herb
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Peter J. Cross
>> San Antonio, TX
>>
>> "Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
>> -James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51
>>
>> Please consider the environment before printing this email

 From http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html

Despite modular power supplies being a hot product, don't be quick to
grab the up-take. The companies
<http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html#> we
spoke to told us that modular power supplies are less efficient than
those that have their cables hard-wired. The reason being that the extra
connection you make, adds resistance, and hence, increases heat and
reduces efficiency.
herb