[SATLUG] Fedora 11 and Yum

John Clements jclements at grandecom.net
Wed Jun 24 13:39:33 CDT 2009

Greg,

Thanks for the response.  I did just re-install Fedora 11 and now Yum
works.  I enter a bug on Fedora BugZilla. I get copies on comments on
the bug.  Best I can tell from the chatter is this is now known and
there is a workaround.  Email copy below.

Re-install did lose all the email I received from Tuesday to Sunday, but
such is life.

May upgrade next to Unbuntu rather than Fedora 12, hear great things
from Unbuntu and may be better tested before release.

Again, many thanks,

John Clements
www.cclug.org

email copy------------------

--- Comment #10 from seth vidal <svidal at redhat.com>  2009-06-22 08:35:01
EDT ---
1. fedora unity releases are not official releases
2. Backporting a new pkg to f10 is not going to solve this problem - it only
complicates what we have to follow - the only way to solve this problem is
through magic.
3. We've documented and explained that if yum is not able to be run when you
upgrade to F11 from F10 that you can run:

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
then
yum clean all
yum update yum

and you'll be all set.

We do not need to be chasing packages back into F10 for this, Especially not
packages which add a python2.6 path.

It's just extra steps to support and just a hack.

Document the issue and work around it.

It's also worth noting - that sense preupgrade looks in the updates
repo, too,
that when the new f11 yum pkg that is in updates hits all the mirrors that
preupgrade users will get the new pkg and anaconda will be able to do
the right
thing.

James: I do not think we should backport the pkg you made. It just
creates new
problems for us.