[SATLUG] Linux to the rescue

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sun Jun 28 19:16:20 CDT 2009

So, I have some spare parts laying around, and several hardddrives that
I wanted to get data off of.

Now that I've got a 500g drive, I was looking to consolidate the largest
of drives on one system, for the most space.

A few years ago, I got a dual PIII 550MHz system from Jeremy Mann
(Thanks, Jeremy!)  It was my server machine for a year or so, until I
got a dual 1GHz Compaq Pro workstation.  Crammed a gig of rambus ram in
it, and been using it, since.  The dual PIII has been sitting idle for a
while.  hmmm...

tossed a cd-rom drive in it, grabbed my knoppix live-cd, hooked up a
drive to be checked, linux came up, I mounted the drive and after the
third one, discovered some files I had -really- wanted to transfer.

I knew I was going to have to have this machine on the local network.
Grabbed some ethernet hose, plugged it into the dsl router and we've got
a heart-beat.  but after that, what to do?

hmmmm...

(!)  To the CLI, Robin!

sudo mount //ip.address.to.mount-to/sharename /mount-point
password:
Success!

after a couple of syntax errors, I was able to start copying files from
the queried drive to the home system, at 100mbps.

My life revolves around Linux.

-Geoff