[SATLUG] Via C7 Eden and booting from USB (Ubuntu, Debian... other?)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Mon Jun 29 23:32:38 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Has anyone installed linux on a via c7 from usb pen drive?  Any
distribution tips?

The problem I'm having is either hardware related or linux distro. I
don't know. Help?  I recently purchased a via c7 eden and am going to
get where I can try Tweek's firewall setup as in
http://xcssa.org/files/XCSSA-SOHO-Firewall-DMZ-Web/img0.html.  But I
digress... The case doesn't have any hard-drives in it nor does it have
a cd-rom.  I am using two usb pen drives.  One usb is set to boot ubuntu
9.04 i386. When the via turns on, it boots ubuntu and gets to the
"select language" intro, which is the first ubuntu install screen.  At
this point the keyboard is not responsive. There are lights on the
keyboard, so I know it is drawing power from the usb slot. I'm using a
dell usb-keyboard. I've even tried plugging the keyboard usb into a
usb-to-ps/2 adapter. (It has the picture of a mouse on it but isn't this
the same spec?)... No responsiveness from the keyboard still.

I then used unetbootin to put debian stable on a usb pen drive but the
via just hangs on the initial bios screen and before debian installer
can go. (I didn't use unetbootin for Ubuntu 9.04 - just the debian
distro for sake of comparison.)

It'll be a few days but I've got a slim CD drive hidden away and
somewhere I might have a different keyboard... but maybe the via needs a
special distro of linux to work?  (Not i386? -- or use something other
than a debian-based distro) Maybe it's not hardware related?

Thanks for any help,

Jaret