[SATLUG] Via C7 Eden and booting from USB (Ubuntu, Debian... other?)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Tue Jun 30 01:04:35 CDT 2009

Ah-ha!  I got it.  I had to enable "Use USB Legacy Keyboard" in the
BIOS.  Now I'm able to install ubuntu 9.04 i386 (server) from my usb
flash drive. The install goes slow but it will finish - patience. I
created the pen drive boot files using syslinux as opposed to using
unetbootin. I did try unetbootin with debian but it didn't work for me.
I followed the syslinux tutorial here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

Also, I think it was Bruce who asked recently what router/firewalls
people use... I'm trying to build one with the via c7 chipset for around
$200. It has one 10/100/1000 lan but I got the jetway motherboard which
has an expansion slot for 10/100/1000 lan. The expansion slot only works
on certain models. The case is book-size. There is a small fan and the
power supply is 12Volt, 60W.  Hopefully this works great as a home
router and saves on electricity. Unsure what the "uptime" will be but
from newegg posts it sounds like people have been running via c7
firewall/routers successfully.  If anyone wants exact hardware specs,
let me know.

~Jaret