[SATLUG] Video Cards

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jun 30 19:16:24 CDT 2009

Peter Cross wrote:
> OK after looking at Toms hardware and Googling the crap out of it I am no
> further then where I started.
>
> Which has better HDMI support ATI or NVidia?
Hey Peter, I will use the recent experience with Cheryl to once again
say that both are mass produced by the thousands and your have two concerns.

1. Are the chips on the board quality.
a.     Here I had two ATI units fail both with only a few hours of
operation. Both times the card totally failed not a splash screen even.
So was not a driver failure
b.   The Nivida card seems to be running with no problems. almost a mo now.

2. Are the board drivers opensource and are they supported by the mfg.
a.     I had no trouble with the ATI being found by the loader for
install of Ubuntu 8.04 and this driver is one of the ones released to
the OSC by the mfg.
b.   I had to allow access to the non opensource drivers repository for
the card to be seen and driven, but no problems here either.

So Peter it sort of boils down to two very equal technical companies
that basically split the competative market and the street word is that
Nivida writes better code but that ATI will surpass that benchmark with
the backing and participation of the OSC  sooooo........ there you have it.

I would love to hear some other thoughts on this thread.
herb