[SATLUG] I'm sorry everyone...

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 1 12:17:20 CST 2009

I know others on the list are giving you recommendations on MB, CPU,
Video, & HD options, but you mention something that I feel compelled to
respond to.

You talk about running your case with one side off to help keep it
cooler -- in my experience, that can often have the opposite effect.
The case fans are supposed to be designed to draw air through the case
across _all_ components that need to be cooled, not just the CPU, etc.
With the side off, only components with their own cooling fans (like the
CPU, some video cards, some audio cards, the power supply, etc.) will
get cooled, and the other MB chips, add-on cards, etc., will not get the
cooling they need.  If you need more cooling, I think you might be
better served to add additional cooling fans in the case and to keep the
case closed.

If your case lacks places to add more fans, there are other aftermarket
cooling accessories you can use to help keep certain components cool,
such as a replacement for a blank faceplate where the HD sits that has a
couple of small fans to direct air right on to the HD's themselves.

Al Lesmerises