[SATLUG] nvidia tnt2 riva64

rsuberg at satx.rr.com rsuberg at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 1 17:03:08 CST 2009

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10, and getting regular video resolution.  I've downloaded 71.86.06 NVidia drivers but when I try to install, I get a message:No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)?  I tell it to, but it can't find them.  It says it wants to compile new files, I say yes, then it fails with:
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I find nothing that is helpful for this old of a card, and am at a loss of where to go next.  I did download a different driver, but it turned out to be a 64bit, and this proc isn't.  Any suggestions?

I'm switching from using win2k on an old pc to actually using it with ubuntu, instead of just using linux as a tool to fix broken winxp machines for the office.

Please, Richard