[SATLUG] building a new box, John

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:54:07 CST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Cheryl Holmes <cherylholmes72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you too John...I learned about thinking several years out when I
> worked in the computer industry...it really saves a lot of trouble later
> down the road and makes a system usable for much longer..can do simple and
> easy..less expensive upgrades to it over the years too that way..
>
> I like ASUS  and need to check them out too...
>
> Now the hooking up the lights thing is really scaring me...I guess I can
> always take the project as far as I can on my own and mhave what I can't do
> or am afraid to do done by someone else..I mean pay to have it done the rest
> of the way if I need too...
>
> I want to settle on a processor and MOBO 1st and go from there....again
>
> Thank you and everyone for helping me out...cheryl

Cheryl, I'm currently building some nodes that use the MSI K9N2GM
NVIDIA Geforce 8200 motherboards with AMD 9750 X4 Phenoms. The
motherboard you can pick up for about $80 and whatever AM2+ processor
you want. We chose the X4 Phenoms for performance. Anyway, I just
thought I'd chime in to say that the chipset works fine with newer
distros. I had some trouble with the onboard gigE NIC, but after
patching the kernel with a newer driver (from NVIDIA) and the proper
module arguments, it works perfectly.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu