[SATLUG] ATI/Trident drivers ok?

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 09:05:33 CDT 2009

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 23:35 -0500, Richard Suberg wrote:
>
>> Since I still haven't had any luck getting the nvidia drivers to work for
>> the card I had, (riva tnt2 m64) (not from lack of support from you guys, I
>> guess it is just my luck) I was wondering what kind of support y'all have
>> seen from ATI and Trident.
>>

> the ATI linux drivers suck.  Nvidia is really the best supported 3D card
> out there for linux.  It has been my experience that nvidia and the
> newer Ubuntu distros JUST WORK. what idstro are you using?
>
> Todd

Aww...  Now why'd you go and say a thing like that?  My laptop, with an
ATI Radeon 200M, and an older HP Pavilion 531w tower with an added ATI
Rage 128 (32MB on card) work just fine under fglrx (FireGL). I even have
Compiz effects, wobbly windows and a bunch more running on the laptop.
If y'all will remember, I couldn't make nVidia work either...  (but I
never bad-mouthed  them...)

Cheers;
ed