[SATLUG] ATI/Trident drivers ok?

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Mar 9 14:41:56 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 09:05 -0500, ed wrote:

> Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 23:35 -0500, Richard Suberg wrote:
> >
> >> Since I still haven't had any luck getting the nvidia drivers to work for
> >> the card I had, (riva tnt2 m64) (not from lack of support from you guys, I
> >> guess it is just my luck) I was wondering what kind of support y'all have
> >> seen from ATI and Trident.
> >>

> > the ATI linux drivers suck.  Nvidia is really the best supported 3D card
> > out there for linux.  It has been my experience that nvidia and the
> > newer Ubuntu distros JUST WORK. what idstro are you using?
> >
> > Todd
> >
> Aww...  Now why'd you go and say a thing like that?  My laptop, with an
> ATI Radeon 200M, and an older HP Pavilion 531w tower with an added ATI
> Rage 128 (32MB on card) work just fine under fglrx (FireGL). I even have
> Compiz effects, wobbly windows and a bunch more running on the laptop.
> If y'all will remember, I couldn't make nVidia work either...  (but I
> never bad-mouthed  them...)
>
> Cheers;
> ed

I didn't intend to pick a fight but when ever I try to get my radeon pro
9600 to work it just barley works and often crashes my desktop.  that
said I have used Nvidia's since the 6000 series and have never had a
problem getting the driver to install in Ubuntu.  granted before Gutsy
this required compiling the kernel but the last few releases of Ubuntu
have seen the Nvidia card and asked if I wanted to install the
restricted drivers which it has always done flawlessly.  Even on the new
cards like my 9800 GTX.

Todd