[SATLUG] ATI/Trident drivers ok?

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:48:02 CDT 2009

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 09:05 -0500, ed wrote:
>
>> Todd W. Bucy wrote:

>>> the ATI linux drivers suck.  Nvidia is really the best supported 3D card
>>> out there for linux.  It has been my experience that nvidia and the
>>> newer Ubuntu distros JUST WORK. what idstro are you using?
>>>
>>> Todd
>>>

>> Aww...  Now why'd you go and say a thing like that?  My laptop, with an
>> ATI Radeon 200M, and an older HP Pavilion 531w tower with an added ATI
>> Rage 128 (32MB on card) work just fine under fglrx (FireGL). I even have
>> Compiz effects, wobbly windows and a bunch more running on the laptop.
>> If y'all will remember, I couldn't make nVidia work either...  (but I
>> never bad-mouthed  them...)
>>
>> Cheers;
>> ed
>>

> I didn't intend to pick a fight but when ever I try to get my radeon pro
> 9600 to work it just barley works and often crashes my desktop.  that
> said I have used Nvidia's since the 6000 series and have never had a
> problem getting the driver to install in Ubuntu.  granted before Gutsy
> this required compiling the kernel but the last few releases of Ubuntu
> have seen the Nvidia card and asked if I wanted to install the
> restricted drivers which it has always done flawlessly.  Even on the new
> cards like my 9800 GTX.

I gotta eat some words here too: just this afternoon installed Ubu
8.04LTS on a Dell Optiplex GX270 with a DVI-plugged nVidia card - dunno
what type yet, but I'll find it.  Got the same result you did -- the
restricted driver socked right in and special effects started right out
of the box.  :)

Cheers;
Ed