[SATLUG] ATI/Trident drivers ok?

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:41:53 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 04:40:36 ed wrote:
> Ok...  There ya got me.  I couldn't make a TNT2 work either...
>
> Cheers;
> ed
>
> Richard Suberg wrote:
> > I'm beginning to think the latest may not be the greatest.  Trying to use
> > Ubuntu 8.10 installed with wubi.  It is a Riva TNT2 M64....and I found out
> > that I needed the legacy drivers (71.86.04)  Even tried using envyng and it
> > didn't help much either.  Hadn't tried the manual install step-by-step yet,
> > but since I have some extra graphics cards in the drawer, was thinking about
> > just swapping out.
> >
> > Richard
> > http://www.kevinspitcrew.com

I have recently installed Mandrive 2008.1 Spring on an older HP machine with built-in nvidia graphics. It used the legacy driver as well and identified the graphics chip as a Geforce2/TNT/TNT2/Riva. The 2D drivers for the desktop work fine, but, alas, no glx. I tried the nvidia installer as well as the rpm package provided by mandriva and neither got glx working, but 2D worked fine.