[SATLUG] Partial Success

Peter Cross pjcrux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:27:31 CDT 2009

OK... First off thanks to everyone that helped with the drivers for my PCI
graphics card. I went another route and bought a DVI to HDMI cable am now
able to use the TV as a monitor for the minor issues needed when i can't use
putty. Now however the server will not boot to the X Server. I can only
bring up CLI.

I've tried the following commands:
system-config-display
startx gnome

and a multitude of others. However I get the following errors from both
putty and while hooked up to the machine.

[root at localhost ~]# system-config-display
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Couldn't start X server on card 1
Couldn't start X server with old config, trying with a fresh configuration
Couldn't start X server on card 0
Couldn't start X server on card 1
Error, failed to start X server.

[root at localhost ~]# startx gnome
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3938

X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 i686
Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomain
2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Tue Feb 24 20:09:23 EST 2009 i686
Build Date: 03 November 2008  12:34:56AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.5.2-3.fc9
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Mar  9 20:41:25 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I am at impasse as to whether to try reinstalling the distro's and repo's or
attempting again to reinstall the x server (tried last night but to be
honest don't really know what I"m doing). I also tried to install the VNC
server last night to maybe find another way to do this but that wouldn't
install as well, has anyone heard of FreeNX? When is the next install fest?
Sorry to keep buggin ya'll about this. Everything works well with the
machine but I need to get into the GUI that way I can access the myvpn.conf
file so that I can set a VPN up.

--
Cheers!

Peter Cross