[SATLUG] Atheros wifi driver installation

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:26:11 CDT 2009

Hi folks...  My current Acer Aspire 3050 laptop is dying - overall
performance drop, keys sticking or not writing, screen darkening and
forever running hot.  I've replaced it with a newer Acer Aspire 5155
(AMD Athlon 64 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM).  Problem:  While the 3050 had a
Broadcom wifi card, and I'd finally discovered how to make the
restricted drivers work, the new 5155 has an Atheros wifi card, and I'm
lost again...  I've loaded Ubuntu 8.04LTS (fresh load), and the system
says its using the Atheros restricted driver(s), but I'm not even seeing
a wifi light, much less connecting to anything. Wired
networking/internet runs just fine and everything else runs cherry.  Any
suggestions?

Cheers;
Ed