[SATLUG] Atheros wifi driver installation

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Mar 12 16:55:07 CDT 2009

ed wrote:
> Hi folks...  My current Acer Aspire 3050 laptop is dying - overall
> performance drop, keys sticking or not writing, screen darkening and
> forever running hot.  I've replaced it with a newer Acer Aspire 5155
> (AMD Athlon 64 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM).  Problem:  While the 3050 had a
> Broadcom wifi card, and I'd finally discovered how to make the
> restricted drivers work, the new 5155 has an Atheros wifi card, and
> I'm lost again...  I've loaded Ubuntu 8.04LTS (fresh load), and the
> system says its using the Atheros restricted driver(s), but I'm not
> even seeing a wifi light, much less connecting to anything. Wired
> networking/internet runs just fine and everything else runs cherry.
> Any suggestions?

At the risk of stating the obvious, Ed... there are some laptops that
have a feature that allows you to turn on/off the WiFi feature.

If you're not seeing the Wifi Light, I'd say it was turned off.

On my Gateway, there's a symbol that kinda looks like;
((( . ))) (with a bigger dot in themiddle, of course)

The Fn (in blue) key, and the corresponding key with that graphic on it,
toggle the Wifi on/off

I apologize if I'm oversimplifying something you probably already looked
into, but better to turn that pebble over, instead of leaving a clue
unsolved.

-Geoff