[SATLUG] Atheros wifi drivers RESOLVED

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 00:27:26 CDT 2009

scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
>> I'm showing that the drivers are engaged and in use in the reserved
>> hardware section, but no network tool shows a wifi card of any kind
>> - not even iwconfig.  Ubuntu web site says the ath5k driver may be
>> blacklisted somewhere in the system.  That's my next hunt, unless
>> someone has a better idea...

> Since you originally said the wifi indicator is not illuminated, then it does
> not have the correct driver loaded...< lsmod > will verify this..Without
> a correct driver loaded then the Network tool will not see a wifi card,
> and iwconfig is futile...Once the correct driver is found and loaded, then
> you will be able to configure it.    Lou

Actually, both conditions are true:  I didn't have the right drivers
loaded, but, now, wifi works but the light still doesn't come on.  Go
figure...  One more Google search and one more Ubuntu page, and I
finally  discovered that the Atheros 2x2x drivers won't cut it in 8.10,
but the newer 5xxx drivers do.  Been happily cruising the web for the
last hour on the new bird with wifi...

Cheers;
Ed