[SATLUG] Atheros wifi driver installation

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Mar 13 09:46:52 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 19:22, scs at worldlinkisp.com <scs at worldlinkisp.com>wrote:

> > the new 5155 has an Atheros wifi card, and I'm lost again...
> >I've loaded Ubuntu 8.04LTS (fresh load), and the system
> >says its using the Atheros restricted driver(s), but I'm not
> >even seeing a wifi light, much less connecting to anything.
> >Wired networking/internet runs just fine and everything else
> >runs cherry.  Any suggestions?
>
> Could be something simple, Atheros is a good chipset, but you
> need to provide more info (sort of like saying I have a European
> car, not specific). Do a CL < lspci -n  > and ID the chipset for
> us.

Verify that the `lspci -n` lists the card.  Agree with Lou here, please send
the Vendor:Device combo, or verify that the ath5k driver will list it.  IME
each drivers' source has a enum list of ID strings for the devices that it
supports, and occasionally (I have delt with this regularly with
3G/GPRS/EVDO "Air" Cards, as the drivers do not often include the newer
devices, so that the driver will not load since it does not "recognize" the
device, so hack/recompile driver source is required untill the distro
updates it kernel and drivers.

Also, what network manager are you using?  I'm not a Unbutu
> user, but there several on list, and with full info can and
> will help.  Am sure you've checked all simple things, like
> Network preference settings, ID'ing your wifi card (wlan0)?

Check your /etc/modprobe.conf and/or the /etc/modprobe.d/* files (blacklist,
module-renames, unsupported*) to make sure that the proper alias is
defined.  Sometimes, you need to `ifconfig wlan0 up` explicitly before your
iw* tools will "see" it.

HTH,
jp