[SATLUG] For the bleeding edge....

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 11:08:36 CDT 2009

Ubuntu has DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) that makes stuff like
Nvidia nearly trivial to install and keep up to date.  I run Jaunty on
my T61 and it builds fine, though there is some quirk with the Nvidia
chipset in the laptop that I haven't quite figured out yet.  Building
manually gives the same results as DKMS, so I'm pretty sure its a bug
with the driver from Nvidia.

-Henryj

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dennis Myhand wrote:
>>
>> Richard Suberg wrote:
>>>
>>> For those that live on the bleeding edge, how do you easily upgrade from
>>> one
>>> version to another in the same flavor?  Ie ubuntu 8.10 -> 9.04 without
>>> having to reload the entire system, as in do it within the system itself.
>
>> Oh yes, do be careful, no gaurantees implied, and your milage may vary.
>>  Peace, Dennis
>
> Yes, there may be problems.  For instance, I use both Nvidia and VMWare.  I
> have to rebuild the drivers manually every time I upgrade the kernel.  I
> doubt any distro handles proprietary drivers automatically.   I could be
> wrong though.
>
>  -- Bruce

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay