[SATLUG] [OT] Itunes + Linux

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Mar 14 11:39:43 CDT 2009

Dear Satluggers:

<disclaimer>Please excuse my extreme ignorance about all matters Ipod/Itunes/I*...</disclaimer>

My daughter wants to use "Itunes" on the web to download songs to her
Samsung T1O mp3 player. We have linux computers at home, and I found a Linux app called
"Gnomad Ipod" that does a reasonable job in synching the T10 to whatever I have on
disk. Here is my question: Once I have an account on Itunes, I am presumably
able to download songs from the web for a small fee, right? Do I need to have
any special software just to download? Once I download, what format are the song files
in? Are they MP3 or some digital rights protected encryption? For me, the easiest
would be to have an app that would convert whatever I download to mp3 and then
put it on my daughters T10 using the "Gnomad Ipod" software. Is this a reasonable
approach to this problem? Any other suggestions? I also would like to know about
alternatives to Itunes, free or commercial. Suggestions welcome!

Thanks, -Borries