[SATLUG] Mandriva 2009.1 and KDE 4.2.1 ... pretty good but a few probs

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:37:10 CDT 2009

Just FYI for those interested.
Being a Mandr*/KDE user, I have been anxiously awaiting version 2009.1 to arrive. I had tried version 2009, but found that KDE 4.1 totally sucks and was not much of an improvement over 4.0.
Now the release candidate 1 for Mandriva 2009.1 with KDE 4.2.1 is available, so I thought I'd give it a go. I am pretty darn happy with it, though it does have some bugs to be ironed out. But I expect two more release candidates to occur before the final is ready.

Some programs experience crashes with dbus, namely amarok and k3b, but daily updates have helped a bit to fix those problems.
Amarok will crash if I press stop while listening to streaming audio, but not when playing local audio files. Amarok also randomly reloads previous playlist entries after having cleared the playlist and added new media to it.
K3b will now burn media, but previous to updates would crash via dbus when starting the burn dialog. Using gnomebaker proved to be a good alternative to k3b.
Mandriva seems to have messed up some action icon assignments. Both konqueror and dolphin display several wrong icons in their toolbars (mostly with back, forward, up, delete, cut, copy and paste); some icon sets work better than others, but many of these icons default to the kde logo. This problem also happens in the context menus when I right-click on files.
Power management works pretty well, but I lose the USB ports after returning from suspend to RAM or suspend to disk (sleep and hibernate).

On the plus side:
I have installed 2009.1 on two different HP dv9000 series laptops. Both laptops are from 2007, but purchased about 6 months apart. The older of the two would experience random lockups with mandriva 2008.1 and some occasional boot problems with Ubuntu Intrepid. The newer one worked absolutely perfectly with mandriva 2008.1.
Now the older laptop is running beautifully with mandriva 2009.1, as is the newer one (the only exceptions listed above).
Both now have their internal broadcom wifi working, thanks to drivers available in mandriva's cooker repositories, along with kernel 2.6.29 rc8.3.1.

If anyone else has tried 2009.1, please share your experience.

John C.