[SATLUG] Mandriva 2009.1 and KDE 4.2.1 ... pretty good but a few probs

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:51:16 CDT 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 20:04:41 Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> I will always have a fond place in my heart for KDE...it was my fist
> non-win environment.  that said KDE4 has been a huge disappointment.
> GNOME with compiz-fusion far more stable and in many ways has much
> better eye candy.
>
> JMHO
> Todd

I have been using KDE 3.5 for quite a while now and love it, and have used every version since 3.0.3 on Mandrake 9.0.
Now 4.2.1 is starting to show promise. It is good enough for me to use now that they have implemented desktop file management and don't rely on the widgits for that task, though it still has a long way to go. I think that by the time they get it to 4.3 it will be pretty good, and by 4.5 it is going to be quite sweet. The new panels are starting to grow on me, but kicker is still better.
Basically it is good enough for my laptop, which I mainly use for work... rdc, ssh, smb4k, email and spreadsheets for the most part. But my desktop machine at home with all of my truly important stuff (games, photos and music, lol) will wait for the official powerpack version of 2009.1 (yes, I do actually purchase one powerpack DVD each year, for all other releases I download the 'One' CD)*.

*I have had 2008.1 powerpack run perfectly on a couple of different computers while the One version had errors and instability, despite having the same kernel, drivers, and core packages.