[SATLUG] Solaris 9 Partitions and Linux

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:12:26 CDT 2009

I have a SAN with several LUNs that were used by Solaris 9 sparc
servers.  They supposedly have a single UFS sitting on slice 6 of each
LUN.  I am trying to access the data from a RHEL 5 x86 server.  Sun
partition support is enabled, as is UFS support (had to custom build
for UFS).  In theory this should work, even with the difference in
platform .. the UFS driver in Linux has a byte-swapping routine that
handles the endian problem, and I just need read-only support.

The major issue is that Linux won't detect the slices at all.
fdisk/sfdisk show an empty MSDOS partition table and they don't show
up in dmesg on boot like they should.  Testdisk will find a UFS
signature on the disk, but complains that there is no valid partition
table.  I can't mount the UFS since there is no partition or slice to
mount.

Anyone have experience with Solaris slices/UFS in Linux?  Am I missing
something simple here?

Thanks,
Henry