[SATLUG] Large Mailbox threshold

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 02:07:28 CDT 2009

You can get corruption if the pop server times out before it can
finish opening the mailbox. It takes so long to open, the server
assumes the process died and removes the lock file, allowing a new POP
connection to start. POP is not designed for multiaccess so corruption
is almost guaranteed at this point.

There is no set size that this will happen at. It is a function of the
server timeout and how fast your system can scan the mailbox. I've
seen this happen on 100MB mailboxes and 300MB mailboxes. POP is not
meant to be used this way. IMAP clients can be configured to keep
local copies of all messages if someone is concerned about archiving.

-Henry

On 3/26/09, Leif Johnson <leif at paisd.net> wrote:

> Can someone tell me if it really matters how much email my boss
> accumulates and refuses to pop down to her workstation? Logwatch has been
> warning me, but the boss likes to pop and save a copy on the server to
> imap from home. I guess my question is: WHAT IF THE THRESHOLD IS EXCEEDED?
> Will her mailbox freeze up at some point. How do I avoid the wrath that
> would ensure once the superintendent's mail box freezes even after
> repeated suggestions to empty it?
>
> logwatch ----snip----
>   Large Mailbox threshold: 40MB (41943040 bytes)
>    Warning: Large mailbox: reptile (77950155)
>    Warning: Large mailbox: vermin (73338008)
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Leif Johnson
> (361) 749-1200 x. 316
> http://blog.paisd.net

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay