[SATLUG] Home uses for CLI

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Sat Mar 28 09:49:49 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Matt Graham <matthewalan77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I successfully loaded xubuntu 8.04 on a laptop with not enough resources to
> run X.  What are some practical home uses for a Linux
> command line?  For work I would have a pretty awesome console\telnet machine
> but am struggling to fine a beneficial home use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
> --

How slow is slow?  I have a toshiba portege 3110 300MHZ with 64M of
RAM.  I compiled mplayer with framebuffer support and use it to watch
movies without X (great for the girls on a car trip with a compact
flash card as the HDD the battery lasts for like 4 hours, I use center
IM for instant messaging.  even frozen bubble can play on the
framebuffer without x on a slow machine (maybe yours is slower) and
everyone loves frozen bubble.  You can surf the web with dillo (yeah
requires X but not a lot of resources).

There are a lot of applications for the framebuffer that dont require
*as much* of the over head as X does and can still allow you to use a
gui.  Plus they are great for writing perl scripts and programming in
C (yeah compiling is a little slow someday i will max is out with
192MB of RAM and then i will be smoking).  Just because the hardware
is old does not mean it cannot be good for soem modern stuff.

That being said if it is a 386 with 8mb RAM it might make a nice door stop ;)

Sean