[SATLUG] Home uses for CLI

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 12:10:32 CDT 2009

Matt Graham wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I successfully loaded xubuntu 8.04 on a laptop with not enough resources to
> run X.  What are some practical home uses for a Linux
> command line?  For work I would have a pretty awesome console\telnet machine
> but am struggling to fine a beneficial home use.

Is it X that uses too many resources or Gnome?  You can try a slimmer window
manager.  The slimmest that I know of is twm.  Check that twm, xterm, and xclock
are available and then set up X with:

#######
mv .xinitrc .xinitrc.backup

cat > ~/.xinitrc << "EOF"
# Begin .xinitrc file
xterm  -g 80x40+0+0   &
xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
twm
EOF

startx
#######

The interface is a little different, but you should be able to launch a browser.
  If that works, you can then try another lightweight window manager like
metacity, fluxbox, or sawfish.

    -- Bruce