[SATLUG] Home uses for CLI

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 12:56:51 CDT 2009

On 3/28/09, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
>
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > I successfully loaded xubuntu 8.04 on a laptop with not enough resources
> > run X.  What are some practical home uses for a Linux
> > command line?  For work I would have a pretty awesome console\telnet
> machine
> > but am struggling to fine a beneficial home use.
> >

>  Is it X that uses too many resources or Gnome?  You can try a slimmer
> window manager.  The slimmest that I know of is twm.  Check that twm, xterm,
> and xclock are available and then set up X with:
>
>  #######
>  mv .xinitrc .xinitrc.backup
>
>  cat > ~/.xinitrc << "EOF"
>  # Begin .xinitrc file
>  xterm  -g 80x40+0+0   &
>  xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
>  twm
>  EOF
>
>  startx
>  #######
>
>  The interface is a little different, but you should be able to launch a
> browser.  If that works, you can then try another lightweight window manager
> like metacity, fluxbox, or sawfish.
>
>    -- Bruce

twm could be a real good way to go.
I always liked FVWM but that was a "look and feel" thing.
There are a lot more options at:
"Window Managers for X"
<http://xwinman.org/index.php>
I read a lot of comments about people running Xfce on ubuntu.

Another option is the last great thing CLI did to be graphic:
"ncurses: Old School Interfaces"
Michael J. Hammel
Friday, November 15th, 2002
<http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Cz_jqfErMHoJ:www.linux-mag.com/id/1206+text+ncurses+based+window+manager&cd=30&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us>
(this is the cached link URL. a subscription login was required for
the regular URL below)
<http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1206>
(this link was found googling for "text ncurses based window manager")

[Article excerpt]
Even if a system can’t provide raster graphics, there’s no reason it
can’t offer the convenience of windowed interfaces. Perhaps you’ve
never heard of it, or perhaps you’ve just forgotten about it — in any
case, the ncurses library lets you build windowed applications for
character-based displays.

"ncurses" examples you may or may not be familiar with:
YaST and YaST2 on SuSE before Novell bought them.
Aptitude - an ncurses front-end for apt. (Synaptic is the X-based
graphic front-end)

HTH