[SATLUG] One File System Reading Another (borrowed from Solaris Discussion)

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 02:39:50 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM, ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> True...  Just seemed rather intriguing that it didn't work both ways.  I've
> found Winderz-based "reader" programs, that'll tell you what's on an ext2/3
> disk, even allow you to move or remove files, but not to access them as a
> user...
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

Personally I like the idea that my Windows OS can't access the files
on my Linux drive in a straightforward manner.  It would suck if a
Windows virus managed to hose your Linux install, wouldn't it?  There
is far less risk involved in Linux accessing Windows partitions than
the other way around.

As for network file sharing, keep in mind that SMB had to be reverse
engineered by the Samba Project.  Even though the original protocol
was developed by IBM, Microsoft modified it so heavily that standard
clients wouldn't work with it anymore.  The Samba Project actually had
to pay Microsoft to get documentation on the protocol, and they are
not allowed to share the original documentation with anyone.  The
funny part is that the Linux implementation is faster than Microsoft
and has been for a long time.

-Henry