[SATLUG] how to turn off touchpad

scs at worldlinkisp.com scs at worldlinkisp.com
Mon Mar 30 00:10:14 CDT 2009

>The touchpad on my Dell inspiron 9400 is extremely sensity. Just hovering above
>the TP without actually touching it can make the mouse pointer jump around.
>Since I use a USB mouse, I'd rather turn off the touchpad alltogether, but
>disabling it in the BIOS is not doing the trick. Any other suggestions? Is
>it possible to disable it in X?
Agravating isn't it, my Acer 4420 is the same, and I too switched to a USB mouse.
Sometimes mere proximity of my hand and fingers (typing) causes wild excursions.
Believe the culprit is hand capacitance and static electricity. If I can locate
my static wrist grounding strap, I'll share results.  It has worsened lately,
wish I'd kept notes, relating to dates/weather conditions.  Low humidity increases
static intensity.  A USB KB in addition to the USB mouse would eliminte the PITA
factor (and increase my typing speed).

Lou