[SATLUG] OT: Built my own DTV antenna

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon May 4 14:48:27 CDT 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Jeremy Mann wrote:

> Luckily I had all the parts. About the only thing you'll have to buy
> is a 75 ohm balun. Here's a pic. Its pretty ghetto but works
> surprisingly well:
>
> http://mann.uthscsa.edu/images/dtv-antenna.jpg

looks fine to me -- a bowtie, and so directional; one active
element rather than the two shown here:
 	http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/digital-tv-antenna.html

"The Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna is a long-range
wide-band (Channels 14-69), 8-way bowtie dipole design
directional antenna with a maximum gain of 15.8dB and a beam
width of 15 degrees. "
 	down the page a bit.

No chicken wire backing (to eliminate to ground backside
signal), and so not so ghetto as it could be ;)

The BalUn (transition from a Balanced transmission line to an
Unbalanced circuit) makes for ease in terminating RG-59 ish
coax to halves of the antenna -- was there any theoretical
attempt at impedence matching as well?

Similarly the element arms -- were they cut to be half
(quarter) waves at some intentional frequency center?

-- Russ herrold
 	wb8sky