[SATLUG] OT: Built my own DTV antenna

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue May 5 14:10:56 CDT 2009

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Jim Wells <jfw5cpa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I like this.  MAYBE I will then be able to get more channels near SAC.
>>

> Jim, I'm WAY on the NW side of town and even with powered rabbit ears,
> I never got all channels. With this antenna, I get local channels
> perfectly clear.

You might even get more, if you had the thing outside and on the roof
above obstructions.

UHF signals do prefer a 'clear path'.  Propagation on UHF is "Line of
Sight".  This would be why so little power is needed to hear satellite
signals, from space.

Where you are, on the far NW side of town, you are high enough in
elevation, that if your antenna was outside and up on your chimney, you
might not only be able to see all of the San Antonio signals, but you
might even see some of the other local signals.  Austin, Kerrville,
Fredericksburg... on a good day, perhaps even San Angelo.

>From the Balun (converter from 75ohm coax, like CATV or RG-59 to 300 ohm
open wire line [aka ribbon-cable]) some sheilded low-loss CATV coax to
your converter box would be great.  A pre-amplifier/receive amplifier
would ensure crystal clear digital pictures and would help bring in
other broadcast signals from around the immediate region.