[SATLUG] External Laptop Antena and the SAFreePublicWiFi

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue May 5 21:12:40 CDT 2009

I finally figured got around to hacking an external antenna to my
laptop.  Since my wifi card is a run of the mill Intel ABG I was able to
find a cable <http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/Detail?no=74> to
connect to my spare antenna <http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=416>.

This might seem trivial to some of the more technically proficient on
this list but its the first important step in my quest for a more cost
effective solution to Internet access.
I live relatively close to downtown on the east side and with this new
antenna I can get a very week signal from the City's wifi AP at the
court house.  (for those of you who don't venture downtown San Antonio
has had free public wifi in about a 2 block vicinity of the courthouse
and city hall for the last couple of years).  My idea is this do a bit
of wardriving with a gps and I can then map the exact location of the AP
so that I can then aim a (as of yet to be built) bi-quad wifi antenna
<http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/> and pick up a strong signal.  Eventually, I would like to extend the municipal wifi network to my immediate neighborhood by building a wifi access point (or is wifi-bridge the proper term?).

Before I get to deep into this process however I thought I would be wise
to seek ya'lls advice on this topic.  In particular, technical, legal,
and security considerations.

Thanks
Todd