[SATLUG] New user asks modem & dial up questions.

cdv7 at sbcglobal.net cdv7 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 5 21:42:10 CDT 2009

Greetings,
I had hoped to purchase the TRENDnet TFM-560X a modem from newegg.com
but it is now listed as a Deactivated Item. (See
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825134002) I was
told the company is undecided if the deactivation will be permanent or
temporary. Newegg lists U.S. Robotics USR3453C as a similar product.
(See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825104004).
Do you agree? If not, please indicate your choice.
Also. please recommend a quick, reliable and very low-cost Dial up ISP
for Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”. Sadly, I need to economize and am now in
the process of switching from DSL to Dial-up.

Please respond.
A new Linux user.

P.S.
Mr. Suberg, Mr. Pappas and Geoff,
Thank you for your suggestions.
It took a while, but switching from Suse to Ubuntu Linux solved most of
my problems- such as the ability to print.