[SATLUG] Wireless bridges

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 7 00:41:38 CDT 2009

On Thu, 7 May 2009 00:01:53 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a way to connect a standard desktop system to the
>Internet via a wireless connection.   << gescnipp >>
> I can't seem to find
>the right Netgear product and I'm not sure if the Netgear I have will
>connect properly to a Linksys component.

Have you looked at wireless print servers? Some of them come with
100Base-T (RJ-45) connectors for one or more computers as well. Example:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WirelessPrintServers/WGPS606.aspx

Wireless Ethernet bridges seem to be higher priced items, except for the
one that Linksys makes for their IP phones. It has a regular LAN jack
but no power supply, so a little hunting at a second-hand store, Altex,
or even RatShak will get you going. Reports say it works with any
network device such as a PC, not just their phone.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124256

Of course most of us just put a Ralink 802.11g card inside the box, but
if that's not practical, look at these other wireless devices.  --Don

--
We're headed for a Quantum Collapse!