[SATLUG] External Laptop Antena and the SAFreePublicWiFi

Tim corpustexn at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 11:09:09 CDT 2009

--- On Tue, 5/5/09, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:

> From: Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>
> Subject: [SATLUG] External Laptop Antena and the SAFreePublicWiFi
> Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 9:12 PM
> I finally figured got around to hacking an external antenna
> to my
> laptop.  Since my wifi card is a run of the mill Intel ABG
> I was able to
> find a cable
> <http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/Detail?no=74> to
> connect to my spare antenna
> <http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=416>.
>
> This might seem trivial to some of the more technically
> proficient on
> this list but its the first important step in my quest for
> a more cost
> effective solution to Internet access.
> I live relatively close to downtown on the east side and
> with this new
> antenna I can get a very week signal from the City's
> wifi AP at the
> court house.  (for those of you who don't venture
> downtown San Antonio
> has had free public wifi in about a 2 block vicinity of the
> courthouse
> and city hall for the last couple of years).  My idea is
> this do a bit
> of wardriving with a gps and I can then map the exact
> location of the AP
> so that I can then aim a (as of yet to be built) bi-quad
> wifi antenna
> <http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/>
> and pick up a strong signal.  Eventually, I would like to
> extend the municipal wifi network to my immediate
> neighborhood by building a wifi access point (or is
> wifi-bridge the proper term?).
>
> Before I get to deep into this process however I thought I
> would be wise
> to seek ya'lls advice on this topic.  In particular,
> technical, legal,
> and security considerations.
>
> Thanks
> Todd

There is no doubt the biquad is a more exotic solution than what I tried a couple of years ago.  Just a piece of coax with the correct impedance, I don't remember what impedance now of course, and a connector from altex for the wifi card. and an 11 ounce coffee can.  The included link has a calculator for the location of the hole you need to drill or gouge out. I kept it simple by trimming back the center conductor insulation to the right length.  If I recall about 1.2 inches.  And then soldered the shield directly to the can.  Here in Corpus my closest access point was about a half mile, and with obstrutions, but I could connect.  Of course the biquad is much cooler!
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html