[SATLUG] Wireless bridges

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu May 7 13:29:16 CDT 2009

2009/5/7 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>

> I'm looking for a way to connect a standard desktop system to the
> Internet via a wireless connection.
>
> The configuration I would like to implement is:
>
> ISP -> Cable "Modem" -> Computer A -> Netgear WG602v3 ////////////
>
> //////// Some wireless box --> Computer B

I use WRT54Gx routers running DD-WRT in "Wireless Client" mode to connect
ie:

ISP -> Modem -> M0n0wall --> WAP1 /////  ///// WRT54G Client -> Wired Client
Island1
                                        |               /////  ///// WRT54G
Client -> Wired Client Island2
                                        --> WAP2 /////  /////  Normal Wifi
clients

Note:  WAPs run on different SSIDs and Channels to minimize interference.  I
understand that the newer "dual band" routers have multiple radios to
function on multiple bands simultaniulsly.

> The only wireless connection is the /////// link.  I can't seem to find
> the right Netgear product and I'm not sure if the Netgear I have will
> connect properly to a Linksys component.

The DDWRT firmware overcomes some of this, as it does not limit
"bridge/clients" to same manufacturer MAC addrs.  I have extra WRT54G
devices loaded with DDWRT firmware if you want to buy one (them) at a
reasonable price(s).

HTH,
jp